Sunday 9 December 2012

A Picture is for Life.



I came across this little book this morning when I was trying to make the girl's books look at least a bit tidy. I have no clue where it came from (sent home from nursery perhaps) but as soon as I opened the cover, I was transported back in time by the illustratiions of Stephen Cartwright to these two books:



I was sent back to the time when these books both filled me with delight and terror when I read them (underneath the covers with a torch for more thrills of course!). I have no real recollection of the stories, but of the pictures which carried warmth, comedy and terror to my little self. And most strangely of all, I could almost taste them.  Does that make me a little odd? I don't know. But I do know that an illustration is more powerful than you might think.

No comments:

Post a Comment